Breakbeat Science Phorum Forum Index Breakbeat Science Phorum
Good Times

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What happend to your scene in NYC?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Breakbeat Science Phorum Forum Index -> Time Out
View previous topic :: View next topic  
human?
Breakster

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

prozacrefugee wrote:
human? wrote:

yep, elephant in the room is what drugs are available. i def became a junglist on acid lol.

coke is still WAY too big... shit is gross...

You don't find it profound?

ive never once done coke, so i cant honestly comment on the experience...

but apparently it turns you into a gassed up ego driven prick and enables toleration of shit music.... at least as far as i can tell when im around it... so i suppose thats profound on a level lol
Rewindster

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DifferentDrummer wrote:
You missed the NYC nightlife scene by over a decade. It's so bad it's fucking embarrassing right now.

gonna have to agree with this

human?
Breakster

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

601 wrote:
DifferentDrummer wrote:
You missed the NYC nightlife scene by over a decade. It's so bad it's fucking embarrassing right now.

i mean, yeh, except for that hes wrong.....

parties are jumpin, yall are just lames
supasharpshootah
Breakster

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Human started mixing it up prior to the dread no dread thing.

Just sayin Wink
Rewindster

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

human? wrote:
601 wrote:
DifferentDrummer wrote:

there's still good shit going on but no way near as good as it was between 1996-2006. Just no way

human?
Breakster

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supasharpshootah wrote:
Human started mixing it up prior to the dread no dread thing.

Just sayin Wink

LOL

"its like you cut your hair, and everything CHANGED! i dont even recognize you anymore, who ARE you?!?!?!?"

my last year & a half in a nutshell.
human?
Breakster

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

601 wrote:
human? wrote:
601 wrote:
DifferentDrummer wrote:

there's still good shit going on but no way near as good as it was between 1996-2006. Just no way

yes way.

its not 94-98... but it sure as hell isnt no 2005-2006...

seriously, things are cool right now. and just steady getting better. different? of course Smile thats how weeeee do, it is the future.
Camouflage Chameleon
Person With At Least 2500 Posts

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

601 wrote:
human? wrote:
601 wrote:
DifferentDrummer wrote:

I agree 100%.

There is nothing consistently as good as it used to be in my opinion, overall it's definitely NOT the same.

"Feel The Force, Don't Force The Feel!"
www.camonyc.com
www.facebook.com/christian.bruna
human?
Breakster

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

come on guys, yall cant say with a straight face 96-2006 is a golden age of nyc party.

seriously????

lol.

for me 94 - 2000ish was pretty fucking cool.

NYC hit its low tho like 5 years ago... its been on the upswing for at least 3 solid years now...

if yall are talking strictly dnb, i mean, i guess..... but thats cause the age of strictly dnb was 96-2006...
supasharpshootah
Breakster

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are most of you able to comment when you go to the same two or three parties week in and week out with almost identical line ups from week to week or month to month?
human?
Breakster

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, this MUST happen every decade... people get older and they talk about how things arent like they were!!!

yep. they arent like they were. they never will be. and yep, nyc isnt london. i know its hard to comprehend, but comparing whats going on now in nyc to anywhere at anytime is a fruitless discussion.

now is the best, here is awesome.
supasharpshootah
Breakster

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was better when these people actually went out.
djjagdish
$100 billa

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cormoll wrote:
DifferentDrummer wrote:

i keep hearing this over and over. what was the cause of this? surely its not just a few clubs closing and mayor Giuliani's cabaret licence?

That played a part. The clique thing people have brought up. Another thing that plays a part (IMO) is that in the past a lot of the D&B party scene has been a younger crowd - no 9-5 to hold down, no family/kids to support, etc. With the way cost of living keeps going up in the city, there's less of the main market that D&B caters to living in the city and more and more yuppies. Most of the teenage population that actually live near the city live far from Manhattan and the ones that do live in Manhattan are rich trust fund kids who chase the latest fad - maybe yesterday's junglist is todays hipster.

There are a ton more hip hop kids in the city than every form of electronic dance music combined, and D&B was always one underground niche of electronic music. You get low turnouts and venues don't want to support D&B nights because they have mad expensive rent to pay & it's a vicious cycle. There used to be at least 5 record stores you could walk into in Manhattan and find a decent D&B seclection, now BBS is the only one left and it's in Brooklyn. Many would argue (me among them) that some of the freshness has faded off D&B, maybe I'm getting old, but it used to be a struggle to not walk out of a record store every week wanting at least 10 records out of the 30 I previewed, now I could listen to 30 MP3s on Chemical and only really think a couple are fresh (maybe I'm just getting old, but maybe a lot of people feel the same way).

Bruna's thing about chiefs and indians is true as well, almost everyone who is into D&B wants to be a DJ or promoter, but to have packed nights all the time you need a good helping of simple, carefree fans who just want to brock out. It's similar to people saying the serious novel is almost dead, the chief reason being the only people who read serious literature are aspiring writers...the masses want Twilight or Harry Potter (or Alicia Keys or Lady Gaga).

human?
Breakster

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supasharpshootah wrote:
It was better when these people actually went out.

lol, i have something fresh i need to go to every night till june 7th lol

summer is about to kill me
Camouflage Chameleon
Person With At Least 2500 Posts

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

human? wrote:
come on guys, yall cant say with a straight face 96-2006 is a golden age of nyc party.

seriously????

lol.

for me 94 - 2000ish was pretty fucking cool.

NYC hit its low tho like 5 years ago... its been on the upswing for at least 3 solid years now...

What upswing are you talking about bro?

Weeklies and resident weekly heroes are nearly extinct. Most super clubs are gone, it's all smaller clubs and lounges. Not to mention any new successful party is either a monthly that is FREE or that has a headliner and is at a relatively small place like Love. Bottle service and Top 40 for the most part are what's hot in NYC. Raves? Raves are dead. Mostly 100-150 people at them (if that) these days from what I hear. Camo? More than 50 heads show up only when dj's that haven't played here in years are playing or debut appearances that are hot.

Roni Size at Love, good? It should have been rammed in there by default. When was the last time Roni played in NYC? I can't even remember. Webster Hall? Yeah it's good when Rusko and whoever else is popular plays and even then that club isnt' always packed from what I hear.

Re:Solute and Blackmarket Membership parties are also hit or miss, not all of them are great. Not to mention they keep moving locations. Imagine if they weren't? People have no attention span for any regularity or consistentcy anymore, they pick and choose when and where, and who they will see. Based on many things including the economy and how much money and time they have to spend going out.

A Dubstep monthly called Dubwar? A few Trouble and Bass parties? A FREE monthly jammed packed party called Darkroom. A few good Camo's when we have the right guest or it's Holiday season? Jeff Mills at Sullivan Room? Sure there are good times left in NYC, but overall it's diminshed in size a GREAT deal, and there is no denying that. Not to mention it's become very, very difficult to keep it running smoothly and consistent especially for genres that are less popular today.

"Feel The Force, Don't Force The Feel!"
www.camonyc.com
www.facebook.com/christian.bruna

Last edited by Camouflage Chameleon on Fri May 21, 2010 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Breakbeat Science Phorum Forum Index -> Time Out All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: