Breakbeat Science Phorum Forum Index Breakbeat Science Phorum
Good Times

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What happend to your scene in NYC?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Breakbeat Science Phorum Forum Index -> Time Out
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmac
Intro

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: What happend to your scene in NYC? Reply with quote

I've only been here for 3 years but why is the NYC drum and bass scene one of the worst out of the big cities in the world? I'm not trying to piss anyone off but this is pathetic?
cormoll
Rewindster

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

been here since 06 and i love it! its a small tight community and we get headliners every other week. you can hear dnb 2-3 times out of the week as well. other than being a little slow at times, whats wrong with it?
Intro

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only see Drum and Bass at proper venues on weekend nights with headliners from one crew and they only do shows a couple times a year. LA has Respect 500 plus every week, Toronto is massive. Chicago at least 200 people sjow up to shows. Here there is nothing mate. I went to go see Submorphics and Stunna on friday and 50 people showed up? These guys are some of the best DJs I've heard in a long time seemless mixing , great selection. Seems like you all lick your own balls for locals who are doing nothing internationally or production wise. I mean its not like Makoto, Marky,Marcus, Doc Scott, Goldie are here monthly? Thank god for that Bukem show once a year. Yes I'm coming from London where Drum and Bass is still very big but I would expect a major metropolitan hub such as NYC, considered the center of the world by some have a little more going on.
Force
bacon sandwich insiders

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC is just so up to the minute.

Flavors come and go for the masses.

Plus the shit this city has been thru in the past decade have made gathering alot of people together a little too costly for some.

http://www.threadless.com/submission/141204/Puttin_on_the_Savannah

http://www.threadless.com/submission/140784/PI_rates
speeder wrote:
bacon sandwich insiders DO NOT FRONT. they only come in one flavor: CORRECT.
kmac
Intro

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brought 3 friends from London to that show, they were asking me whats the problem this place is nice and the music was great.Big up to those guys. I told a friend who runs swerve to bring that crew over.
DifferentDrummer
Person With At Least 2500 Posts

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You missed the NYC nightlife scene by over a decade. It's so bad it's fucking embarrassing right now.
Rewindster

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the city is too big and every tiny little crew wants to do their own thing. mainstream dnb can be really obnoxious and formulaic at times IN MY OPINION, making it very hard to get new people interested, and it totally bores me to tears hearing people STILL playing clownstep in 2010. there's plenty of people out there, but there isnt a forum for them to come together . nobody wants to come out during the week. nobody wants to party with the under 21 crowd. there aren't enough 18+ jungle shows so there's this huge generation gap . nobody wants to lose their shirt payin $1000+ to bring out one headliner . alot of dnb producers are trying to be dubstep producers now and dont really play jungle anymore

pick any 1 of those reasons

edit: that sounded alot meaner than i intended. I still go out alot, and i still enjoy alot of parties. If you build it, they will come... that's kinda how i've always felt. The clubs here just aren't leaning towards jungle/dnb for these massive events. and there aren't enough big clubs that aren't obnoxious and super expensive and would cater to jungle. the potential is still there though. jungle is still really cool musics yo for the kids n stuff. it's just on a different scale here

ctrl c ctrl v style

Last edited by tacosphere on Thu May 20, 2010 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
yoohoo
Person With At Least 2500 Posts

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DifferentDrummer wrote:
You missed the NYC nightlife scene by over a decade. It's so bad it's fucking embarrassing right now.

Are there even any huge clubs anymore? Like the super clubs of old ? Clubs were charging $30-$40 entry back in the 90's...can't imagine what it would be now.
Citizen Kang
Urban Shaman

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yoohoo wrote:
DifferentDrummer wrote:

Are there even any huge clubs anymore? Like the super clubs of old ? Clubs were charging $30-$40 entry back in the 90's...can't imagine what it would be now.

Well now they force you to spend $1200 for a bottle of vodka if you want to get into the club.

DIRECT DRIVE
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
djjagdish
$100 billa

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DifferentDrummer wrote:
You missed the NYC nightlife scene by over a decade.

pretty much...not to say there isn't shit poppin' from time to time, but it's a shadow of it's former self.

Force
bacon sandwich insiders

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enter the "Limelight is now a shopping mall" conversation.

I mean, does anyone really expect the NYC massive to do the same thing for more than a decade?

People are so desperate to stand out and do something different in this town.

BTW, if someone goes to see like Paul Van Dyk they are going to a "rave" these days.

lulz

http://www.threadless.com/submission/141204/Puttin_on_the_Savannah

http://www.threadless.com/submission/140784/PI_rates
speeder wrote:
bacon sandwich insiders DO NOT FRONT. they only come in one flavor: CORRECT.
supasharpshootah
Breakster

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than Jake there is no one posting in this thread who is out on the regular. Roni Size packed out Love a week ago. When the same recycled shit comes time and again people lose interest. I appreciate what promoters are doing, but you will notice when the same crew with the same "headliners" come through every other month, people lose interest.
That PVD rave comment is dumb, and has to come from someone who hasnt been to any of the actual raves pulling in between 400 and 1000 people every couple of weeks. The jungle is always there for a set or two. Andy C is coming June 24th.
Of course we are not London the place where drum and bass comes from. But there are so many parties with so many people. Besides Techno/House there is no other EDM genre that has lasted this long and still has a following in this city.
supasharpshootah
Breakster

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS you have to dig beyond this board as this board is antiquated.
supasharpshootah
Breakster

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS this thread sucks as bad as trance and dubstep having a kid.
cormoll
Rewindster

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DifferentDrummer wrote:

i keep hearing this over and over. what was the cause of this? surely its not just a few clubs closing and mayor Giuliani's cabaret licence?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Breakbeat Science Phorum Forum Index -> Time Out All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: