Breakbeat Science Phorum Forum Index Breakbeat Science Phorum
Good Times

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dubstep=hipsterism
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Breakbeat Science Phorum Forum Index -> Time Out
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kimba
Bitchin' Kimaro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NY times on dubstep lol.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/22/arts/music/22hobbs.html?_r=3&ref=music

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Wisdm
Camera Whore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy shit, this was the best thread ever!

how the fuck did i miss all this???

MustafaQBrainmender wrote:
hohohohohollllllly shiiiiiiiit..... Wizzy just ate jungle's liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti ftftftftftftft...
Citizen Kang
Urban Shaman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're too busy with 4sq!

DIRECT DRIVE
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Wisdm
Camera Whore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or too busy at T&B. ZING!

MustafaQBrainmender wrote:
hohohohohollllllly shiiiiiiiit..... Wizzy just ate jungle's liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti ftftftftftftft...
Breakster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Citizen Kang wrote:
seckle wrote:
the people that make it a competition, are in it for the wrong reasons.

Exclamation

The main reason I like going to parties like T&B or Flashing Lights is that I know I'll hear all types of music from house to electro to D&B to dubstep to whatever is clever. Monotony is boring.

Hey, I would have to side with Christian, I wouldn't neccessarily say you speciifcally. but those events definitely I know I have gone to just because I have had friends there. I think the music really sucks at their parties, really really bad. I dont think I've ever been to one of their parties and not hear one of the djs trainwreck at least 1ce or 2ce...

really horrible DJs, I remember a discussion with a friend. Hipster EDM is really just new kids listening to EDM and not really knowing the background or really having to be in it for a while. people just want to hear dance music.
Hipster music is all image, like it or not.

I think it's the same way the rave scene was 11 years ago. people didn't really come for the music, it was about the fashion...same shit now with hipsters...

It sucks that drum and bass seemed to have turned into a last generation's scene...there's no cool image for the youngsters to grab on to and come out.

It's all over this thread the hate for hipsters, it's just a hate for the new generation, i feel mad people sounding like "THESE YOUTH TODAY" :p

DNB in NYC killed itself with elitism, not of the everyday goers, but the people who came in for a year, did way too many drugs, created exclusive clicks, seemed to have happened over ther past 2 and ah alf-3 years no? a bunch of new people do a lot of drugs, create a little group that excludes others, makes others feel uncomfortable becuase they're not part of the "in crowd" and then they can't handle the drugs and stop going out...

DNB over the world seems to have died DUE to dusbstep, I talk to a few well known djs in engrand quite a bit, all of them say shit's slown down and kind of sux because of dubstep(In fact some of them producer dubstep too! lolz)

music wise of this thread: I'm still uncertain if i like dubstep or not, it doesn't seem to evolve musically in anyway, an LFOed bassline can only last so long, no? I really have never got this "it's the next big thing" shit. I wish people would drop that. they said the same thing abot dnb back in the day, and guess what the same shit pretty much, just a few bpm higher, no?Smile Mybe it'll be the next big thing by hip hop taking it raping it and not giving the credit of where it came from. the only seriously interesting shit i've really heard dubstep wise is stuff like Sub Swara's.

I dont get how people really want to hear dubstep for 6 hours, i like it for 15 minutes, then i really want it to stop.

and oh yea, people really look like retards dancing to dubstep. i know it's not about how you look while dancing, but it's true, i've looked at so many dubstep parties and they always look so funny:-)
Person With At Least 2500 Posts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://vimeo.com/9885264
Urban Shaman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3001 wrote:
Citizen Kang wrote:
seckle wrote:
the people that make it a competition, are in it for the wrong reasons.

Exclamation

The main reason I like going to parties like T&B or Flashing Lights is that I know I'll hear all types of music from house to electro to D&B to dubstep to whatever is clever. Monotony is boring.

Hey, I would have to side with Christian, I wouldn't neccessarily say you speciifcally. but those events definitely I know I have gone to just because I have had friends there. I think the music really sucks at their parties, really really bad.

I go to metal shows all the time BY MYSELF. I threw a metal weekly where I was lucky if 2 of my friends even showed up. My friend's choices in music have no bearing on me.

I have a Degree in Music Theory. I can compose and perform multiple genres of music. When I got to college I realized I had to open my mind to all music to LEARN about music.

But when I was younger and more immature - I took OVER ZEALOUS PRIDE in my music choices, thinking "IT'S MY INDENTITY AND HAVE TO DEFEND IT!" But that's a stupid way of looking at subjective choices.

It's makes me laugh when people can't see past genres names and just realize that all notes are still the same notes. And in the end it makes no difference what combination of those notes you prefer and it's pointless and immature to hate on people who enjoy a different combination of those EXACT SAME NOTES.

And my final view on all of this is if you were actually having fun AT YOUR OWN PARTIES, you would not be hating on other people having fun at their own parties. Because positive energy never begets negative energy.

DIRECT DRIVE
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Breakster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was only siding on the part of flashing lights and trouble n bass parties...Smile

I'm sure you know after studying music theory that it's not all about that.

IMHO electronic music breaks the boundries by offering an additional variable in the mix.

Besides for just pitch and timing, and the very small amount of the softness? what's there 5 or 6 levels? there's timbre, it's timbre based music which makes it so interesting.

Maybe my studies didn't go that far in music theory though, I only studied it for a year or 2

not each note is is the same note, there are so many variables especially with timbre based music! i think the 303 really revolutionized thinking beyond this:-) one of hte reasons why i really love acid house, and changing the way we think about music...

But in the end a party is a party, just to have fun. rarely does the music actually matter. I dont recall a time recently where I was able toa ctually hear at a party in nyc truely the tonal qualities. If i want to listen to music just that sometimes it's better to listen on studio monitors and really hear the nuances:-)

Metal is one thing though, live music is a world's difference i'm sure ya now:-)

I realy just dont think these flashing light and trouble n bass parties are at all about the music. I think it's about getting wasted and looking cool.
Urban Shaman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3001 wrote:

I realy just dont think these flashing light and trouble n bass parties are at all about the music. I think it's about getting wasted and looking cool.

Well I would have to highly disagree with you. The dance floors go off at those parties - it's not a bunch of people standing around looking at what other people wear. It's usually too dark to see anyone anyway. If you think FL or T&B are just for looking cool - then I highly suggest going to M2 Ultralounge on a Saturday night to get some real perspective about parties were people are just getting wasted and trying to look "cool."

And are you really going to tell me no one gets wasted at drum and bass parties? If those parties were truly about the music - they wouldn't have the party at a place that had a bar.

You agree with Christian yet his own signature has "SEX, DRUGS and DRUM N BASS." The music coming LAST in that string of nouns. (also missing a comma after DRUGS)

DIRECT DRIVE

Last edited by Citizen Kang on Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mykey
Lord of the Beers

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3001 wrote:

Trouble & Bass has set the standard right now as to what a party is in this city at the moment. They are perhaps the most forward-facing collective not afraid to book completlye left-field (in addition to white-hot) artists in order to provide a unique musical experience.

Ryan, I know you've been out of the loop for minute but it's time to jump back in a have some fun with some really good music. There's nothing wrong with going out and hearing something completely different than dnb.
Breakster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Citizen Kang wrote:
3001 wrote:

Well I would have to highly disagree with you. The dance floors go off at those parties - it's not a bunch of people standing around looking at what other people wear. It's usually too dark to see anyone anyway. If you think FL or T&B are just for looking cool - then I highly suggest going to M2 Ultralounge on a Saturday night to get some real perspective about parties were people are just getting wasted and trying to look "cool."

And are you really going to tell me no one gets wasted at drum and bass parties? If those parties were truly about the music - they wouldn't have the party at a place that had a bar.

You agree with Christian yet his own signature has "SEX, DRUGS and DRUM N BASS." The music coming LAST in that string of nouns. (also missing a comma after DRUGS)

to be honest I dont think it really takes a lot to make people dance. just throw on a four four beat and if one person dances another person dances. especially if there are attractive females dancing.

of course people get wasted at dnb parties. I dont know if it came thru in this thread. But I think many parties are just about people getting wasted and having fun. I dont think the music neccesarily is key at most events.

a friend of mine said it best, i love dnb parties but at end of the night it all sounds the same...<---quote from somone who loves dnb musically too lol...

I only agreed with christian on FL + T+B often being more a social thing than going out.

I dont agree with sex drugs n drum n bass...I think for the most part while it was criticized that FL+trouble and bass is just a social thing...I really think camo is too, it's like a cheers.

it's one of the reasons i like dnb, and why i dont mind scenes so much, you can hear music you are into, and can the same group of people around.
Breakster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mykey wrote:
3001 wrote:

Trouble & Bass has set the standard right now as to what a party is in this city at the moment. They are perhaps the most forward-facing collective not afraid to book completlye left-field (in addition to white-hot) artists in order to provide a unique musical experience.

Ryan, I know you've been out of the loop for minute but it's time to jump back in a have some fun with some really good music. There's nothing wrong with going out and hearing something completely different than dnb.

Mykey, I keep hearing that they're all on the cutting edge, but I just dont hear it in the music. Maybe i'm not hearing the right stuff though. It just seems like EDM for hipsters, for a younger generation that really wans't exposed to edm previously? a lot of these events seem this way.

I am not opposed to hearing non dnb. in fact i'd rather go now to a reggae event than a dnb party now. dubstep parties are cool i just dont like the vibe, too aggressive and hip:p

tbh i've had more fun at flashing lights parties than a bunch of dnb events...Smile

although ir eally thoght the music sucked:P

but they did play slayer once:-)
Person With At Least 2500 Posts

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Citizen Kang wrote:
(also missing a comma after DRUGS)

Technically, it's optional.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Breakbeat Science Phorum Forum Index -> Time Out All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Page 17 of 17

Jump to: